movingimage Advanced Subtitles Feature
movingimage advanced subtitles feature is a useful enhancement through which you can upload, edit and create captions from scratch. Pair it with movingimage’s complementary AI (Artificial Intelligence) tool to generate subtitles from scratch via AI-powered transcription and translate the outcome into 54 different languages.
Subtitles have come a long way since they were first introduced to the public during the silent-film era. Though their primary goal has remained communicating verbal content in writing, both their functionality and use cases have changed tremendously over time. In the last few years, following the growth in video consumption and mobile data consumption, captions have become a standard that is promoted by some of the most influential media experts. Here are a few arguments why you should consider incorporating subtitles in videos:
Why Use Subtitles
- Subtitles help people understand your videos. Have you ever watched a muted video? Odds are you have: 85% of all Facebook video consumers watch videos with the sound off. Add to that the number of people who are hard of hearing, and you get a large audience that has no access to videos with sound whatsoever. Subtitles allow users to replace an audio element with a visual one without compromising the message itself.
- Subtitles engage your audience. It’s a well-known fact our collective attention span is at its worst state ever. Some even claim it’s worse than that of a goldfish. Captions can, however, increase our focus, and improve our overall engagement. In fact, studies show people spend 40% more time watching videos with subtitles in comparison to videos without them. And when watching time increases, so does SEO ranking. Which brings us to the next point:
- Subtitles improve your SEO. Subtitles improve SEO both directly and indirectly. They help search engines to ‘read’ videos through keywords and metadata. They also have a positive effect on video engagement and social interactions (including sharing and comments), video watch time, and overall time people spend on a website, all of which are crucial factors for SEO ranking. Adding subtitles will, therefore, help your video to be found online.
- Subtitles help you reach new demographics. Interesting fact: Only about 20% of the world population speaks English. Therefore, captions in English could only resonate with about one in five people worldwide. If, however, you choose to translate captions into one or more different languages you could instantaneously grow your audience correspondingly and reach new demographics.
- Subtitles Increase Your Revenue. As a result of the increased exposure and interest, your site is much more likely to generate increased revenue. One study compared between web-pages before and after transcripts were added to them. Pages with transcripts manifested a 16% increase in revenue.
- Bonus Argument: Subtitles are easy to generate. Generating subtitles used to be a tiresome process, encompassing subtitle timing, transcribing, captioning, typing, exporting, and ingesting. Today, subtitles are much more streamlined and require less manual work, technical knowledge, and overall resources.
Introducing movingimage Advanced Subtitle Feature
As a part of its “video for all” agenda, movingimage now offers an easy (and free) way to upload, edit, and create subtitles via a) .srt/ .vtt file ingestion or b) manual ingestion.
A complementary AI (Artificial Intelligence) tool is an additional layer that empowers users to generate subtitles via AI-powered transcription. Once transcribed, the outcome can be translated into 54 different languages. The feature is hosted in Azure cloud in Europe.
Why Use AI-Powered Transcription
Creating captions for videos is often a cumbersome, costly operation, both in terms of time and capital. The process includes multiple, mostly manual steps, such as transcribing, ingesting, and translating dialogues into different languages. Consequently, creators often choose to forgo subtitles entirely, even at the cost of diminished reach, engagement, and ranking of their video content.
AI-powered transcription, on the other hand, is a mostly automatic process. As a result, it requires a fraction of the time and capital it takes to manually transcribe a video. It’s also easy and requires no technical skills and special training.
How to Edit and Add Subtitles to a Video:
- First, log into your VM Pro account
- Select the video you would like to add subtitles to
- Next, click on the “Metadata” accordion menu
- Choose “Advanced Video Editing”
- Choose “Subtitles”
- Click on “Add subtitles”
- Next, choose between three options: uploading a subtitles file, creating subtitles from scratch using the editor or generating subtitles via AI transcription. The transcript video language will be generated automatically. Translations can then be generated using the “generate” function.
- You can edit all subtitles files (whether uploaded or generated) by clicking on the “edit” button and saving the changes. Once saved, the subtitles file will be updated automatically and can even be downloaded.
- Tip: to improve the transcription’s accuracy, try to minimize background sounds and pronounce the words clearly. Remember: Similar to humans, AI employs a learning curve that helps it improve over time. Therefore, the more you use the feature, the better it will become.
Subscribe to our newsletter and be the first to discover our new video plugins, E-books, and upcoming events!